In 1929, at the age of 19, George Wagner opened a small butcher shop in Bakerstown, Pennsylvania. From there, he operated a peddling truck which delivered eggs, meats, and butter to the local neighbors. As the neighborhood grew and more people were able to afford vehicles, he gave up the truck and expanded the store by moving its location to the intersection of Heckert and Bakerstown Road. This was the beginning of Wagner's Market.
In it's new location in the heart of Bakerstown, George's Super Store thrived and grew under the care of George and his sons. Customers traveled from all over to the shop for its hometown service and unbeatable quality meats. This location remained a fixture of Bakerstown for over 60 years, finally closing its doors in 1996 so that the Wagners could focus on their new location in Hampton Township.
Mister Rogers Visits Wagner's Market
In the fall of 1984, the staff of Wagner's Market of Bakerstown were pleasantly surprised when they were approached by Pennsylvania-native Fred Rogers. He was looking for a small, home-town grocery store to act as the filming location for an episode of his popular show, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. The Wagner's readily agreed, with George's sons Wayne and Joel, as well as many other staff and customers making guest appearances in the episode.
Middle Road Location
In July of 1986, Joel and Wayne Wagner opened the current Wagner's Market which is located on Middle Road in Gibsonia. The business still employs generations of the Wagner family, as well as plenty of new friendly faces. We want to thank our customers for their continued support and loyalty through all the years as we continue to strive to make our business the absolute best it can be!